Benefits Enhancements (Effective January 1, 2021)
We are very pleased to inform you about some improvements to our benefits plan. Effective January 1, 2021, the following enhancements will become available to eligible members:
Parental Leave Benefit
Eligible active members who wish to spend time with their family immediately following the birth of a biological or newly adopted child may be eligible to receive parental leave benefits.
To be eligible for this benefit you must:
- Be absent from work immediately following the birth of your child
- You and your employer must complete a parental leave claim form available from the administrator or union office confirming that you were employed at the time of your absence
- Provide a copy of the birth certificate or a temporary health card from the hospital
- In the case of adoption, benefits commence the date on which your child was placed with you by an adoption agency and you must submit adoption papers
- Provide an updated Member Information Card with the child’s name
If you have met the requirements above, you may be eligible for the following benefits:
- Class 2 Member: $250 a day up to a maximum of 3 consecutive business days
- Class 5 Member: $150 a day up to a maximum of 3 consecutive business days
General Information: Parental leave benefits are for members only. The maximum benefit entitlement is 3 days even for multiple births from one pregnancy. Members making Pay-Direct contributions are not eligible for the Parental Leave Benefits.
Group Legal Benefits
Purchase of family dwelling – increased to $650
Sale of family dwelling – increased to $650
Purchase of lot for family dwelling – increased to $650
Purchase/sale of vacation property – increased to $650
Mortgage new or renewal – increased to $500
Jury duty – increased to $200/day
Psychologist Benefit (Expansion)
The Psychologist benefit has been expanded to also include the services of Psychotherapists and Social Workers.
Should you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our Benefits Representative: