1. Statement of Principles
1.01 Labourers’ International Union of North America, Local 1059 (“Local 1059”) is committed to recognizing the dignity and independence of all employees, members, suppliers and any visitor who may enter our premises and seeks to ensure that persons with disabilities have genuine, open and unhindered access to Local 1059’s information, goods, services and premises.
2.01 The Accessible Service Plan & Policy (“Policy”) has been prepared to meet the compliance requirements of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (“AODA”) and is intended to benefit the full range of persons with disabilities, as defined in the Ontario Human Rights Code.
3.01 This Policy applies to all Local 1059 employees including the Executive Board, administrative staff, business manager and representatives, coordinators, legal counsel, students, volunteers and third parties who deal with the public on behalf of Local 1059.
3.01 Assistive Device is a technical aid, communication device or other instrument that is used to maintain or improve functional abilities of people with disabilities.
3.02 Barrier is anything that prevents a person with a disability from fully participating in all aspects of society because of his or her disability, including a physical barrier, an architectural barrier, an information or communications barrier, an attitudinal barrier, a technological barrier, a policy or a practice.
3.03 Disability means:
- any degree of physical disability, infirmity, malformation or disfigurement that is caused by bodily injury, birth defect or illness and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, includes diabetes mellitus, epilepsy, a brain injury, any degree of paralysis, amputation, lack of physical co-ordination, blindness or visual impediment, deafness or hearing impediment, muteness or speech impediment, or physical reliance on a guide dog or other animal or on a wheelchair or other remedial appliance or device.
- a condition of mental impairment or a developmental disability.
- a learning disability, or a dysfunction in one or more of the processes involved in understanding or using symbols or spoken language.
- a mental disorder
- an injury or disability for which benefits were claimed or received under the insurance plan established under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997.
5. Assistive Devices
5.01 Local 1059 is committed to serving persons with disabilities who use assistive devices to access our services. Local 1059 will provide training to all employees on or about the assistive devices that persons with disabilities may use to access Local 1059‘s goods and
6.01 When communicating with a person with a disability, Local 1059 will do so in a way that takes into account the person’s individual requirements. Communication methods can include in person, by telephone, electronically, by mail, visually, orally or by written means.
7. Service Animals
7.01 Persons with disabilities may enter Local 1059’s premises accompanied by a service animal and keep the animal with them, if the public has access to such premises, and the animal is not otherwise excluded by law.
7.02 While visiting Local 1059, it is the responsibility of the person with a service animal to control the animal at all times.
8. Support Persons
8.01 A person with a disability may enter Local 1059’s premises accompanied by a support person and may have access to that support person at all times.
8.02 Consent from the person with a disability is required when communicating private issues related to the person with a disability, in the presence of a support person.
9. Notice of Temporary Disruption
9.01 Local 1059 will make reasonable efforts to provide all persons affected with notice in the event of any disruption in the services or facilities regularly used by people with disabilities. Local 1059 may not be able to give advance notice in an emergency disruption.
9.02 This notice will include information about the reasons for the disruption, its anticipated duration, and a description of alternative services or facilities, if available.
9.03 Signs and printed notices will be displayed prominently at the entrance, backdoor and elevators. Local 1059 will also display a notice on the website, if applicable.
10. Emergency Situations
10.01 All employees will be familiar with emergency procedures and how to assist anyone who may require help during an emergency.
11. Commitment to Training
11.01 Local 1059 will provide training to all employees and others who deal with the public or other third parties on Local 1059’s behalf. Training will also be provided to all persons involved in the development of policies, plans, practices and procedures related to the provision of our goods and services.
11.02 New employees shall be trained within three (3) months or by the end of their probationary period, whichever comes first.
11.03 Training will include:
- An overview of the AODA and the requirements of the customer service standard.
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities.
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or support person.
- How to offer assistance if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing Local 1059’s goods and services.
- Review of Local 1059’s policies, practices and procedures relating to the customer service standard and any other applicable standard.
11.04 Staff will be trained on an ongoing basis when changes are made to the Policy.
12. Feedback Process
12.01 Local 1059 welcomes feedback, including feedback about the delivery of our services to persons with disabilities. Local 1059 will investigate and respond to all complaints relating to such services in a timely, thorough and objective manner.
12.02 Any person may submit feedback by contacting Local 1059 via telephone at 519-455-8083.
13. Notice of Availability
13.01 This Policy and any corresponding practices and procedures will be made available to any person upon request. Local 1059 shall post notice of the availability of these documents on Local 1059’s website.
14. Modifications to This Or Other Policies
14.01 Any policy, practice or procedure of Local 1059’s that does not respect and promote the principles of dignity, independence, integration and equal opportunity for people with disabilities will be modified and removed.